The district health board is pleased to advise it has made contact with all, but one, of the people at risk from equipment that had not been completely sterilised and was used in Hawke’s Bay Hospital’s operating theatres and sent to outpatient clinics.
Twenty-two people attended outpatient clinics today (Thursday 14 February), and the remainder who want to attend a clinic will be seen tomorrow. A councillor has also been offered as part of the clinic, but so far no-one has taken the service up.
Infectious disease specialist Dr Andrew Burns said the response in clinic, so far, had been universally positive. “People have been very grateful for the effort we are making and the care we are offering", Dr Burns said.
The district health board’s investigation into the event had also begun, and was expected to take some weeks to complete, as it would include an external review.
Executive Director Provider Services Dr Colin Hutchison said he again wanted to reassure everyone that any risk of infection was extremely remote.
Dr Hutchison said he wanted to thank the patients for their understanding and again apologised to them for any distress caused.
If anyone is concerned, they can call the district health board 06 878 8109 and ask to be put through to someone regarding the sterilisation issue.