Want to be smokefree?
If you are ready to stop smoking and you live in Hawke’s Bay you've landed in the right place, because we help people just like you become smokefree!
Te Haa Matea (easy breath) is a partnership between Hawke’s Bay District Health Board's (HBDHB) Smokefree Team, Te Taiwhenua o Heretaunga, Te Kupenga Hauora – Ahuriri and Choices Kahungunu health services.
Our programmes include one-on-one coaching, group sessions, community clinics or tailored support for you or your whānau.
We offer a FREE stop smoking service unlike any other as well as FREE or subsidised nicotine replacement therapy. You will be supported by our dedicated Stop Smoking Practitioners who will provide expert advice and cessation tools to support you in your journey towards becoming smokefree.
For more information about becoming smokefree call us on 0800 300 377 or visit our Facebook page @TeHaaMatea
Hawke’s Bay DHB’s Smokefree Team is committed to smokefree quality, innovation and excellence. Our focus areas include:
- supporting staff smokefree education and development
- implementing national and regional smokefree initiatives
- working closely with rural communities and areas where inequality is evident
- putting support systems in place for pregnant women, Māori, youth and consumers of mental health services.
- smokefree leadership both locally and nationally
- developing relationships with communities to help support smokefree lifestyles
- supporting the achievement of community and hospital health targets
- encouraging workplaces and organisations to become 'Totally Smokefree'.
Smokefree officers and health promotion advisors also carry out compliance and enforcement activities under the Smokefree Environments Act 1990, including:
- investigating complaints
- visiting retailers/workplaces to ensure compliance
- conducting controlled purchase operations
Hawke's Bay DHB’s commitment to smokefree lifestyles is described in our policy - Click here for HBDHB Smokefree Policy