Eligibility for health services

There are no charges for services to public patients if you are lawfully in New Zealand and meet one of the eligibility criteria set by the Ministry of Health.

If you do not meet the criteria, you will be required to pay for the full costs of any medical treatment you receive during your stay.

If your country of birth is not New Zealand we require details of your New Zealand residency or visa permits.

If you are born in the Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau you are a New Zealand citizen and eligible for publicly-funded health care.

For United Kingdom and Australian residents New Zealand’s reciprocal agreements with the United Kingdom and Australia cover some services provided under New Zealand’s publicly-funded health care.

Details we require:

New Zealand passport; or certificate of citizenship and copy of passport; or passport with residence visa/permit or returning residents visa; or Certificate of Identity with residence visa; or work permit/s which enables holder a continuous stay in New Zealand for more than two years; or proof your partner is eligible to receive publicly–funded personal health and disability services as they hold a New Zealand passport, or have work permit/s which enable a continuous stay in New Zealand for more than two years.

In regards to defacto partnerships we require a copy of a joint account for example power, phone, bank statement or tenancy agreement.

What happens if I am unable to provide the correct residency details or if I am not eligible for publicly-funded health care in New Zealand?

You will be invoiced for your treatment. You can pay this by Eftpos, Direct Debit, Cheque, Cash or Credit Card. In addition you will be liable for any and all collection costs on unpaid accounts.