Three cases of Paratyphoid confirmed

22 September, 2017

Three cases of Paratyphoid confirmed

Hawke's Bay District Health Board is investigating three Paratyphoid cases reported over the last week.

Paratyphoid is a similar illness to typhoid fever and can cause serious illness.  All three people have needed hospital care.

Medical Officer of Health Oz Mansoor said one of the cases reporting eating shell fish gathered at the Napier Marina.  Dr Mansoor said there were signs warning against consuming shellfish gathered from this area because of risks that the water may be contaminated with sewerage.

Dr Mansoor said anyone who had consumed shellfish from water that may be contaminated and was unwell should contact their family doctor.

Most cases of paratyphoid fever in New Zealand are associated with overseas travel. It is caused by a bacteria that usually spreads through food or water that has been contaminated with the faeces of an infected person. In New Zealand, food vehicles have included shellfish taken from sewage-contaminated beds.

In other countries, shellfish, raw fruits and vegetables, contaminated milk and milk products have been to spread the disease.

More information on paratyphoid can be found here

← Back to the Latest News

Post your comment

Comments

No one has commented on this page yet.