Nurses and Midwives to strike 19 August 2021
New Zealand Nurses Organisation (NZNO) members and members of the Midwifery Employee Representation and Advisory Service (MERAS) union will take strike action on Thursday 19 August.
NZNO Members will strike from 11am to 7pm.
MERAS members will strike from 8am to 8pm
This strike action means a full withdrawal of labour by nurses, midwifes and healthcare assistants who are members of these unions.
We respect the right of members to take industrial action in support of their claims and our focus is on keeping our communities safe.
The DHB works with both unions to make available enough people with the right specialist skills so emergency and essential services are provided when needed.
Hospital services will be severely reduced and ED must be left for emergencies.
- Emergency and essential services will be available.
- Maternity services for women in labour, inpatient and birth services will be available
- Community dental services will be open as usual.
- Most outpatient clinics and district nursing services will be closed from 11am.
- Patients directly affected by the strike have been contacted and their appointments have been rescheduled. If you have not heard from the DHB, turn up to your appointment as normal.
- Visiting hours remain the same.
- If it’s not an emergency, please visit your pharmacy, GP, medical centre or call Healthline on 0800 611 116.
Important information for each DHB location:
- Hawke’s Bay Hospital and Hastings campus
- Napier Health Centre
- Central Hawke’s Bay Health
- Wairoa Hospital
If uncertain about strike impacts please call Hawke’s Bay DHB’s free phone number 0800 248 794