Cardiovascular or heart disease is a growing concern in Hawke’s Bay.
The cardiology service at Hawke's Bay Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Hospital provides assessment, investigation, education and treatment for patients with cardiac or heart disease.
The service is made up of a large team of highly skilled medical, nursing and multidisciplinary staff who work in Ward B1 the mixed medical cardiology ward, the coronary care unit and outpatient services in Villa 2.
Services provided include:
- Electrocardiograph (ECG) Service
- Exercise treadmill testings
- Holter monitoring
- Diagnostic angiography
- Pacemaker insertion (temporary pacemaker insertion)
- Pacemaker clinics
- Direct Current Cardioversion
- Cardiac education/ rehabilitation through the Heart Beat Programme
- Specialty Clinical Nurse follow up and heart failure service
Some cardiac patients may need to be referred to Wellington Hospital for further investigations or treatment, particularly if one of the following is required:
- a complex angiography
- cardiac surgery or electrophysiology studies
For more information on transport please speak to your nurse or contract the transport coordinator.
All patients who have cardiac surgery, for example coronary artery bypass graft or valve surgery will be offered an initial home visit from a community Cardiology Nurse and ongoing follow up.